- October 20, 2011
- By Linsey Corbin
By popular demand, here is the recipe from my latest kitchen adventure:
Healthy roasted butternut squash muffins
The reason I made these:
1. I love butternut squash
2. I love the changing to the Fall season
3. Squash + applesauce = healthy! No oils or butters involved here.
4. As a disclaimer to #3, because these are lacking in the good stuff (lots of flour and/or oils), they are a bit more moist/dense than normal muffins.
5. I highly recommend these fresh out of the oven or re-heated with your morning coffee.
How to roast a butternut squash
1. Oven to 350
2. Halve the squash
3. Scoop out the seeds
4. Lightly olive oil and place on a pan cut side up with 1’’ of water.
5. Bake for an hour
5. Let cool. Scoop out & mash the insides
Roasted Butternut Squash Muffins
1.5 C flour
2 tsp cinnamon
a dash of: nutmeg, allspice, ginger & cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 C brown sugar
1 C mashed butternut squash (can also substitute pumpkin)
1/4 C applesauce
1/3 C plain yogurt
3 Tbsp honey
*optional - a hand full of toasted and chopped nuts, I used pecans
Combine dry ingredients - mix well
Combine sugar, squash, applesauce, yogurt, honey & egg - mix well
Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients & nuts of your choice. Avoid over-mixing.
Grease muffin tin & fill each cup 2/3 full
Bake for 20-25 minutes
Enjoy! Your roommates/spouse/neighbors/swim team/co-workers will love you.